CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Squid Dogs




Ellie has this fishing game (melissa & doug) that she got from Pop & Tudi a while back. It's got several different kinds of fish on it and she
loves it. For a good while she would "catch" all of the fish except for the squid. She would say that she finished the game and the squid would be the only thing left on the board. We thought this whole thing was funny and eventually Dan made a game out of teasing Ellie about the squid (by "eating" it or catching the squid). Ellie thought this was great fun and eventually warmed up to the idea of touching the squid. For the most part she will catch the squid, but she is very careful not to catch it too often. Occasionally she'll serve him up to one of us on a plate, but not daily.

Does anyone else have Family Fun magazine? Oma has continued my subscription and we just
love it. They had this idea to make squid dogs out of pasta sticking through hot dogs. I showed the page to Dan and he thought it was hilarious... he actually laughed out loud. And since this was the greatest idea of all times, I had to purchase the hot dogs immediately. So, Ellie and I went on an adventure to the grocery store and found us some turkey dogs suitable enough for making squid (I was disappointed that Kroger didn't have some veggie dogs so Dan and I could partake in the squid dogs, oh well. Did you all know that Dan and I are not eating meat for the year?). Dan had the water boiling when we got home and he and Ellie busied themselves making the squid. We thought it was awesome that the squid actually swim (spin) around in the water while being cooked. Seriously, if you have kids, you have got to try this. Fun fun!

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

squid dogs made my day...very funny!! (and slightly odd!)

Heather said...

Cute cute!

They didn't have the Morning Star Farms ones in the freezer section? Those are the only "hot dogs" I'll eat! I have bought Chloe some from Whole Foods before, she can't have the regular ones due to her allergy to milk. Regular ones contain Lactic Acid!

AnnaRaz said...

For some reason the only Morning Star farms things they had were the corn dogs. I briefly considered buying them but then realized it was going to be a dollar a dog and just got the turkey one's. Although I did find some at whole foods a few days ago and we've made these again a few more times since then.